I LOVE GRAVITY! Seriously...think about it. Gravity is such an amazing thing. It's constant, powerful, and affects nearly everything that happens here on planet earth. I was skiing today (as I usually am Fridays) and as I rode up the chair lift, I actually had a few semi-deep thoughts. The snow (or ice) was super fast and cold, and I couldn't help but marvel at the forces of nature. Take a little gravitational acceleration at 9.81 m/s2, factor in the pitch of the slope, the marginal coefficients of friction of fresh wax, snow, and air and a caffeinated girl with sharp edges and - to steal a line from my friend Peter - you have a real life video game that money just can't buy. Now...earlier this week as I did my oh-so-favorite hill training workout, I was cursin
g the forces of gravity with each repeat, but we won't go into that.This is a picture of Mount Albert Edward. Sarah Seads and I hiked it this summer, but every time I stand at the summit of Washington and look at it in winter, it's calling to me...saying "the fresh tracks are yours for the taking!" So, I am taking a telemark skiing lesson (for free!) this week-end. I may never find the energy to ski up Mt. AE, but I figure learning to tele will be a new challenge and hopefully not as bruising to my bottom as learning snowboarding.
One more thought...isn't it cool how trees grow straight up (parallel to gravity), no matter how steep the slope they are growing on?

No comments:
Post a Comment