Sunday, December 02, 2007

Snow Day

This weekend we had our first real winter snowfall. I can't say snowstorm since it has been falling in beautiful gentle humugous flakes for the past 2 days. Yan has been taking an avalanche course on Mt. Washington this weekend (perfect conditions for avalanches by the way) so Nic and I have been housebound. I decided this morning that we needed to get out, so I bundled the little man up and ventured out for a walk. Everyone was shovelling themselves out from their driveways and we had a nice, although tiring, walk through the snow in the woods. When we got back, Nic's cheeks were red and his eye lashes covered in snow, I prepared for a whining child...but he was all smiles and giggles! What a precious son I have.
Snow here on the west coast is nothing like I grew up with in Alberta. It comes fast and heavy. What I would have scoffed at in Alberta honestly shuts the town down here. It is like trying to drive/shovel cement. I'm sure we'll be busy at work tomorrow with calls from injured shovellers! These pics were taken yesterday about noon. There's about 6-8 more inches out there now!
This is Nic's new favorite thing. I have resisted getting him a Jolly Jumper until now cause they make me nervous and I wasn't sure how safe it would be. Well, I have decided that at least at Nic's current size it's safe, and I honestly couldn't take it away from him now. He LOVES it!

2 comments:

Steven and Kimberly said...

I am well aware of the kind of snow you have there! I have never seen such dry, blustery snow as I have in Alberta. And you're right, a couple of inches of that wet stuff shuts the town down. It is VERY heavy.

.::. ariane phillips .::. said...

Wow! You got way more snow than we did! At our house - it snowed about 1 cm and then disapearred quickly.

When do you guys move? I am wondering where to send the Christmas card!